My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Giving Thanks

Web Journal Dec. 1, 2005

Giving Thanks

My journey has been touched many individuals along the way. The page is dedicated to recognizing some of these individuals who made a difference in my life and have been a significant part of my life’s journey.

It was my parents who brought me into this world and immigrated to America during the 1960’s after they escaped the Japanese invasion of China during the 1930’s. I was a young child of 4-5 years old with no idea where we were headed or what my future would bring. It was my mom’s sister who sponsored us and helped us settle here in America, she was the one who tended the seeds of our family in this country called America. In time, my parents have grown to love and accept their new daughter. This is not typical for an Asian family as comming out being TS will bring shame upon the family name and worst than if the family member is simply dead.

To my two sisters Diane and Fay, they both took care of me during my childhood and today accepted me with love as one of our family sisters. In the spring of 2005, Fay surprised me with a check to cover the cost of my surgery. It was Jen, Fay and my savings that made my surgery date possible. They even forgave me for all those years that I played dress up with their stuff.
I never suspected they knew about this, but they did know about what I did in their bed room. They asked me about this years later when I came out to them as TS and they were understanding with all that happened years ago.

To my best friend and daily playmate during kindergarten, Felicia. We did just about everything together and her mom would make us lunch when I visited her at home. It was a sad day when her family moved and she said goodbye to me in the school yard. I never saw her again after that day in the school yard and I still miss her companionship to this day. I hope you are well and happy after all these years.

There were a number of bullies that physically and verbally abused me during my time in elementary school. Barry Leong was the one who fought them off and took care of me during my childhood. We lost touch as we grew older and went on to junior high school but during the first day of high school, I discovered that we attended the same school. I never had a chance to meet up with him during high school as he died from a stab wound after a fight at school on the way to the hospital. This happened during the first few days of high school. This was another very sad day in my life.

To Mark Harland, my graphic arts teacher from junior high school who took in this lonely child showed me that I was worthy member of humanity and helped me discovered my talents for industrial arts.

To Eddi, who became my first real friend during our junior high school years and he is still a good friend to this day.

To Ken and his wife Malie, his folks Elaine and Peter for sharing their family’s love with me thru all these years.

To Eddy & Cecilia who took care of me during a time when I felt I had no family that cared.

To my friends on line; Robin, Gwen, Michelle, Jan, Stephe, Donna, Tara, Lilith, Katie, Briar we shared so much of our lives at time when each of us needed to figure out who we really are. In the end, each of us has found peace in life.

To friends whom I have met during my journey Cecilia, Joan, JoAnne, Trisha, Jamison, Michelle, Sis in Phx. It’s comforting to share our life stories together and knowing I’m not alone trying to deal with this state of birth.

To all those who put up web pages that were honestly helpful, Andrea, Lynn, Amber, Dr. Becky, Donna, are among just a few.

To my mom friends, Helen, Rose, Sheryl, Wendy, Melissa and Alice for sharing our lives as we watched our kids grow up and being there to support me emotionally and many other ways that made a difference during my journey.


To my health care providers;

To Dr. Toby Meltzer for a VAG that feels and looks correct and functional in ways that amazes me. It’s been said that there are those who are born with the gift of healing and sensitivity to the needs of humanity, Dr. Meltzer is definitely one of them. To the rest of Dr. Meltzer’s staff; Michael Dr. Meltzer’s surgery tech, Cheryl who took care of me during my time at Greenbaum, Carole who was able to reschedule my surgery date and made a real difference in my sanity at the time, Janet for making us laugh, Debbie for just being there and taking care of all the little but significant things we might need during out time at Greenbaum.

To the staff at Greenbaum Surgery Center Julie, Charlotte, Katie, Ellen, Ana and the rest for taking care of me during my stay at the Greenbaum hotel.

To Dr. Shaffer who was my first trans specific primary care provider and sharing her experience and insights into this state of birth.

To Dr. Brownstein for doing my orchiectomy in 2001 and putting an end to the torment of testosterone for good.

To Dr. Aslan for being open minded, willing to listen and helping me in within the limits of Kaiser P.

To My other health care providers at Kaiser P including Dr. Dea who wrote my second SRS letter with no fuss and being an advocate for trans health care at Kaiser P.

To Dr. Millie Brown (Mother Millie) for writing ‘True Selves’ the first book that made a difference in the lives of so many trans folks including me.

To Cynthia Young, our therapist and the one who help me in many ways during my journey.

To Susan my hair zapper, for zapping hair where it matters and not toasting my skin in the process. The stuff we talked about while we zapped hair was great. Yes Susan, it does not hurt you at all, it’s just me that goes OUCH!

To my ex, for sharing nearly 20 years of our lives together and the two children we had together.

And to Jen, my partner, best friend, lover, soul mate and the one that I have shared just about everything with. It’s been said that true love is one of life’s rare events and we are so lucky that we met and have traveled this journey together.

The journey to discover my true self began in 1995, 24/7 and the start of my medical transition in 2000 and today my life’s journey continues to unfold as time moves on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home