My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Friday, October 21, 2005

Cycling in Phoenix and Jen’s Recovery

Cycling in Phoenix and Jen’s Recovery
October 14, 2005

I called our friend who lives in Phoenix yesterday night to see if she would like to got for a bike ride. After our chat on the phone, we decided to head out for a ride on this Friday morning. I asked Jen how she was feeling and if it would be OK for me to head off for a bike ride. While Jens was still tired and dealing with the recovery process, Jen felt it was OK for me to do my own thing for a while. I got dressed, headed downstairs to get some breakfast for the two of us and after we ate, I changed into my cycling stuff, loaded the bike into the car, said our goodbyes and headed over to our friends home in Phoenix. I got lost on the way over to her place, but a phone call fixed that problem quick. When I arrived at her home, she was so excited that we are finally going to head out for a ride together. We finished getting ready and head out on the Phoenix roads and bike paths. One of the bike paths we pedaled on was next to a canal and was complete with tunnels for the streets over above. I have never been on any road like this before and while my cyclist friend rolled right into and out the other side of the tunnels, I slowed down on entering the tunnel and speeded up near the exit to catch up to her. Our ride took up into places in Phoenix I have never been and the new places were great. I’m still not sure where we pedaled, but it was really nice to be able to focus on just riding and not worrying about getting lost. We did reach part of Paradise Valley. This is where I spent most of my time cycling last year when Jen was a Greenbaum recovering for SRS part 1. The time and miles went by fast and we were back at where we started. Our ride was 30 miles in about 2 hours including stops and etc. Wow that was great fun to share our time cycling, chatting about anything that came to mind and it was really enjoyable visiting parts of Phoenix that I have never been to before. The morning was not too hot, but it was windy and later that morning the temperature was in the low 90’s. The heat of the day was just beginning to happen. We went into our friend’s home where I had a chance to take a quick shower while she made lunch for us. Lunch was ready when I got out of the shower and dressed. We shared lunch together and spent time chatting about so many things that came to mind.

The time was now past noon and it was time to head back to our room at the Holiday Inn. I called Jen to check on how she was doing and what she wanted for lunch. It turns out, Jen is doing well enough, she was in bed most of the morning watching TV. She wanted a Mc D’s basic burger meal for lunch. Old habits die slow, the last time Jen had one of these in Scottsdale, the Mc D’s meal made her sick. Now it was time for me to say goodbye to our friend in Phoenix, pick up lunch for Jen and head back to the hotel. I stopped by a Mc D’s in Indian School Road on the way back to the Holiday Inn. It was around 1:30 PM when I arrived back at Room. Jen ate her lunch and we spent the rest of the afternoon taking a nap and cuddling together.

By dinner time, we decided to get a take out pizza at Oregano’s which is located across the street from Greenbaum. They have really good thin crust pizza. I ordered a garlic chicken cheese pizza and one green salad with grilled chicken. Our order required 20 minutes or so before it’s ready, so I decided to take a short visit to my new friends at Greenbaum. It was nice to see them again and they were happy that I visited them. The bad news was one of my newly post-op friends was not able to pee after the catheter came out and requires reinstallation of the catheter. Having been there and done that, it’s no fun at all. I shared my experience with her having been thru the same problem. There is comfort in hearing there is an end to that form another that has lived thru the same problem.

After almost ½ hour has passed, our pizza and it was time for me to leave Greenbaum and head over to Oregano’s to pick up our order and head back to our hotel room. Our order was ready to pick up upon my arrival. When I got back to our hotel room, Jen and I sat down in the dinning area to have din din together. The rest of our evening was a quite one with the tow of us simply spending time cuddling and resting in bed together. I did get a look at Jen’s labiaplasty healing progress. It is still swollen, and there are some dark areas on the edge of the labia.

There are no asymmetry problems and overall it does look really good. It also appears that the slight webbing between the anus and vagina has been removed. Jen has not dilated for a few days, but that should not be a problem since being a year post op, the schedule is about twice a week or so. There some advantages of waiting a year or so after vaginoplasty before getting labiaplasty. IMO, what is the rush?

I got to say, I’m not really looking forward to my surgery date in Feb 2006. Every time I think about all that we deal with in this process, it makes me cringe at all the stuff involved to get this done. This includes the emotional stress, traveling, expense, pain, recovery time, and the list goes on. For those who say being TS is a lifestyle, it makes me feel like clobbering them over the head with it. There is a part of me that would like to take that Joe Schmoe who claims this is a life style and subject them to what we live with, even if it’s just for one day. It has taken Jen and I many years to be where we are today and I’m tired of taking this from those who claim to know why we life this “lifestyle” without being born and growing up this way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home