My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Cycling in Phoenix and Jen’s Recovery, Part 2

Cycling in Phoenix and Jen’s Recovery, Part 2
October 15, 2005

During the time when Jen was in surgery at Greenbaum, I had a chance to stop the SHC medical records department to request a copy of my medical records. When I requested a copy of my medical records the clerk asked me what I’m specifically looking for in my records. I told her that I wanted a copy of my file. She processed my request and called me later that afternoon to let me know the copy of my records are ready. I picked them up Thursday morning on our way back to our hotel room. Much to my disappointment, the copies she made for me contained only my surgery report, results of a blood test (I had no idea they ran this test on me) and not much more. After reviewing this, I told the clerk I’m looking for a copy of my complete records and she was surprised at my request. A call to the medical records department on Friday afternoon verified that the copy of my records were ready for pick up. A short trip over to the SHC medical records department and $45.00 later, I had a 125-page copy of my medical records. Over the weekend, I looked over every page and learned a lot about the medical process, the procedure and my self. It was very informative, educational and helps me understand more about all that has happened.

Jen and I got up early Saturday morning and she was still a bit tired for the recovery process. Jen and I discussed my plans for today. I was going to head out for another bike ride with our friend in Phoenix. While Jen did her morning routine, I headed down stairs to fetch some breakfast for the two of us. Some hard-boiled eggs, French toast, waffles, corn flakes with milk, yogurt, cinnamon roll and chocolate muffin. After our breakfast, I got ready for the bike trip while Jen stayed in our hotel room resting and recovering.

We had planned to have Lunch with Debbie later today. Once I was ready for the bike ride, we said our goodbyes and headed off to our friends house in Phoenix. When I arrived, it was a warm hello and both our bicycles were ready to go much to my surprise. We headed off to Paradise Valley and a few other new places in Phoenix that I have never been before. We eventually reached 64th Street in Scottsdale before we began to head back to her home. The weather was simply wonderful, sunny warm with little wind. 35 miles later and just over 2 hours, our bicycle trip was over. It seems that our time together on the bike went by so fast. When we returned back to her home, I got a chance to take a shower and share a small snack before heading back to our hotel room and meet Debbie for lunch. I will always treasure these memorable bike trips and time spent with our friends in Phoenix.

The drive back to our hotel was a scenic and peaceful one. When I arrived back at the Holiday Inn and took the elevator up to our room, Debbie was waiting at the door. After a warm Debbie hello, I opened the door and Debbie greeted Jen with the same. We all chatted for a while before heading off to a local Mexican restaurant. We were all seated in a booth near a window and placed our drink and food orders. Debbie told me of a local Trans community event that evening and asked if I were interested in attending. I considered this for a moment, but decided to be with Jen instead. We talked about a host of stuff, everything from our memories of Rocky to real estate in Phoenix. Hours passed and it was time for us to head back to our hotel room. Jen was getting tired from our time together. With our leftovers in hand, Debbie drove us back to the holiday Inn and we took the elevator up to our room. Jen and I took a nap together for the rest of the afternoon. We were so stuffed from our meal at lunch that dinner would have been excessive. We did have a few nibbles from the food leftover from our lunch earlier that day.

Jen was not feeling well later that evening and I asked her what was going on. She just looked tired and a bit pale. I decided to call our Surgeon friend Dr. Kay for some advice. Once I got Dr. Kay on the phone, we chatted a bit about how Jen was feeling and eventually passed the phone on the Jen for her to chat with Dr. Kay. She suspects Jen might be running a slight fever and we should get a thermometer, some Tylenol and Moltrin. I happened to have a couple of Tylenol in my purse and Jen took them while I made a trip to Walgreen’s for the other items. When I got back to our hotel room, Jen was looking and feeling better. A check of Jen’s temperature proved it to be within the normal range, but we suspect that Jen was running a slight temperature before she took the Tylenol. Jen took a Moltrin and stopped taking the Percocet for pain. It was now time for bed, and this was a nice way to end another day in Scottsdale.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a special friend and an awesome cycling partner. Folks, this girl has LEGS... Look forward to more adventures w/ you here in Phx/Scottsdale and in CA. So glad that our orbits crossed. Yes, the universe does provide. Love Sis.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home