My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, April 16, 2006

My Group of Mom Friends…

April 16, 2006

Years before my transition, I spent a lot of time caring for our children. My social group and close friends during that time were a group of moms. It’s been over 15 years since our first child and a number of my mom friends have know me for at least that long. Some of my women friends have recently had children. One is currently pregnant with their first child. Over the years, my mom friends have cared for each others children, picked them up from school and took them home or to an event when their parents were unable to and shared lots of play dates together. We spent family dinners together with me sharing with the other moms. They told me of their relationships with their hubbies and just about everything else in their lives. They were my support group during my transition.

I though it would be interesting to share some of the events from their lives. It is a small window into the lives of a number of these women.

*Mom# 1,
She has four daughters and married to a hubby that is usually not home. He is an accountant and spends most of his time at work. When he is home, he spends little time with his children. Mom#1 has been frustrated with hubby for years and feels he should do more with his children. They don’t spend much time together sharing life or interest. In many ways, she has a pretty separate life from his. The children consume most all of her time and resources. She has little time to spend with her friends. I ask her if she is happy one day, “generally, yes, but I wish my life was more than just raising children.” Her eldest daughter is getting ready for a teen beauty contest and we have been talking about the entire thing involved with getting her daughter ready for this event. Yes, she invited me to the pageant, but at $150.00 per guest, it’s expensive. Not sure if I’m going to go yet, it’s more than I really want to spend for an event like this.

*Mom# 2,
She has two boys and married to a dentist. I knew her for my high school days and we were both very surprised our kids ended up in the same school, same class. She was a stay at home mom when their children were young and recently, she went back to work. She worked part time in the beginning and a year or so later, full time. Both her boys play on a basketball team. She still spends much of her time transporting them from practice to game. She and her hubby is a really nice couple, they spend time together when possible and they know how to take care of each other. We usually end up talking about cooking, our history and what our kids are currently doing. When our kids had play dates, we would bake or cook stuff for the kids. We spent lot of time together in her kitchen. They have been a happy married couple for over 16 years.

*Mom# 3,
She is has two girls and married to an electrician. She works from home and cares for their kids as required. Her eldest is in a girl’s basketball league. Our daughter and her daughter were really good friends during pre-school and they both ended up in the same elementary school and class. Mom#3 is great at sewing and altered clothes for me. Her youngest daughter asked me one day when she came over to play with our daughter, “Are you a boy or girl?” I replied by asking her, “What makes you a boy or girl?” She thought about this for a moment and told me, “It’s what’s on the inside that makes you a girl!” I smiles and told her she was correct. Later that night, I called her mom and talked to her about this. Mom#3 told me that she was not surprised by her daughter’s answer since they have been discussing my transition with her at home. THis happened during the first months of my transition. Her kids don’t even think about my past these days, I’m just another one of their mom’s friends in their eyes. We still chat for hours on the phone when our schedules permit. Her dear hubby has been fine with me too. They are one happy family 

*Mom# 4,
She is a law professor and married to another lawyer and they have three children. We have known each other for nearly 20 years now. Over all those years we have shared births, birthday parties, travel and a host of other events. During lunch one day, I told her of my transition and how my ex has been fighting me over custody. She was thinking of writing an article for a professional legal publication and was considering topics to write on. I shared more details of my family problems and it was then she decided to do an article on the parental rights of trans parents. A year or so later, that article was published. She gave birth to a new baby a few years ago and like her previous children, she breast fed them. Only this time, she had problems with milk supply. It was a coincidence that I was trying to inducing lactation and we shared information on this topic. I ended up lactating for a short time and discovered what it was like to do this (not always fun) and learned that my breast are mature and function in the ways that surprised me. The same meds I used to induce lactation helped Mom# 4 to increase her milk supply. We have shared more of our lives since my transition and I’m thankful for her emotional support over the years.

*Mom# 5
We met at work and initially did not spend a lot of time together in the beginning. Eventually, we ended up taking walk breaks together, lunch and doing stuff away from work. She is married and has two kids. One of them is just two years old and the other is seven, both boys. She got Breast Aug about a year before I did and we spent a lot of time during our walks talking about this. I got to watch her deal with surgery and the recovery process watched and shared how they changed over the months post-op. It turns out, nearly every mom in their family got Breast Aug and none of them had any serious problems or regrets. While know this helped comfort me during that time when I was still struggling and totally stressed out with what to do about my BA date, I was so thankful for her sharing her BA journey. She believes that I’m quite attractive and could be a man magnet due to my height, pretty face, size, hair, boobs (post-BA), personality, and wisdom, I got to say she is right. There are definitely more stares from men in public places and tendencies to start a conversation with me. She has since left where we work and went back to being a nearly full time mom. I really miss our time together as our interest and personalities were so similar. There was so much that we shared together.

There are a few more mom friends in my life, and I could go on yaking about them. It was during this time when our children grew up that I realized there was far more to my gender issues than just wanting to play dress up. Spending time caring for our children and sharing so much of my life and their lives with these other women pushed me towards the realization of who I really was. I discovered how much women share of themselves and support each other in special ways. It all felt so right for me and helped with discovering my femininity. They supported me emotionally when I felt alone when our family fell apart. They were surprised to learn of my transition and not surprised in many ways from all the times we shared together. Thinking back to my childhood, this was really an extension of my childhood friends which were mostly girls.
After meeting and talking to many other TS women who were married before transition, I discovered my history of “being one of the mom’s” is unusual. Proposing marriage to my ex in a wedding gown was unusual. Looking back, that was my way of sharing with her how I felt, but not know why at the time. She really wanted to get married, I was less than motivated. We got married because I felt this would make her happy. This was the same with having children. Later in life, I learned the hard way that you cannot make another individual happy. You can only support them in ways that could foster their own happiness. After our first born, I discovered the “mother in me”. Our first child really bonded to me since I was his primary care taker. A similar thing happened with our second child. The break-up of our family was one of the most difficult things for me, our children and my ex to deal with. That is a story for another post.

I honestly believe if Jen and I had not met, I would have tried to meet a man who was divorced or widowed with children, gotten married and lived a rather plain wife’s life. Being a mom and caring for family is one of the things that brings me great joy and happiness. I have no regrets for the life that Jen and I share today, but every time babies or children are around, the mom in me comes out. Being a mom has become so ingrained in me after caring for our children over so many years. Yes, I’m a gender stereotype of female folks, but I can’t seem to shake it or hide it regardless of my physical packaging. Only recently has my physical packaging really fit me and being at peace with me both physically and emotionally.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Free Guitar Lesson

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home